Tuesday 9 February 2016

My word (Rebel)

My chosen word was 'Rebel'. Originally when i first thought of this word i instantly thought of school children and people who go against the law and commit crimes. However, that's the one aspect of it i didn't want to go into as it was stating the obvious.

I then thought of rebel groups such as ISIS, Boko Haram, Al-Qaeda etc. This is a controversial topic at the moment as a lot of terrible things have happened in the world recently because of the actions of these groups. One part of the rebel groups that i wanted to incorporate into my final image is the headscarves some of them seem to wear.



After researching more into rebel groups i came across a rebel group that stripped a columbian tribe, known as the Nukak tribe, of all their emergency medicine and a a lot of people fell ill because of it, some even resulting in death. The Nukak tribe stood out to me as they have a very distinctive way of expressing the fact that they belong in the tribe. They wear red stripes, almost like a geometric pattern on their face. That was something that stood out to me instantly, something i definitely want to take inspiration from for my look.


As well as thinking of rebel groups, i twisted that and thought of groups of people who were seen as 'rebels'. I first thought of suffragettes and people from different ethnic backgrounds, then i thought of homosexual people. This has been a big topic recently because of the recent change in law meaning that people of the same sex can now legally get married. This topic is also close to my heart as my best friend came out last year as gay and i have just watched him blossom into the most amazing person now that he is comfortable with himself and who he is. I am so so proud of him.

Whenever i think of homosexuality i think of gay pride and the rainbow of colours that are used throughout the festival. This gave me inspiration to use a lot of bright colours within my makeup. Colours attract the eye instantly and i expresses a range of emotions.







No comments:

Post a Comment